7430 River Street Ada, MI 49301
It's easy.The Little Red Schoolhouse is a familiar and well-loved feature in the village of Ada. It has meant many things to many people over its 150+ years.
The structure began life as Ada Township's District #3 Schoolhouse in Section 30 and was called the Carl School. Built in 1859, it stood at the northwest corner of what is now Carl and Grand River Drives. Remarkably, the "little red schoolhouse" was painted white.
The building served as a school from 1859-1964, educating Ada's youth for 105 years. It was a typical one-room country school with wide plank wood floors, a teacher's desk up front, and a cast-iron wood-burning stove in the center. For much of that time, one teacher taught all eight grades, there would have been 10-40 students, and bathrooms were outside.